Canada secures F1 future for 2017

 

The fate of the grand prix at the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve had been in doubt for 2017 after the FIA’s provisional calendar put the June 11 event down as ‘subject to confirmation’.

It is understood that the issue related to a track revamp that had been promised for next year but would not be delivered on time.

Following months of negotiations between the office of the Montreal Mayor and Bernie Ecclestone, however, the matter finally appears to have been sorted.

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre tweeted on Tuesday that a deal had now been reached for the event to take place – and tickets were going on sale this week.

He said: “Agreement in principle with FOWC and Octane [race promoters]. There will be a Grand Prix in Canada in 2017.”

Coderre later told reporters that more details of the arrangements – which are likely to mean the final circuit revamp being delayed until 2019 – would follow in due course because approval for funding would have to go to a public vote.

Speaking to media in a press conference, Coderre said: “Formula 1, for me, is extremely important and it’s part of the essential major events that make up Montreal.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


5 × 2 =